Monday, February 8, 2010

A Moment of Clarity

It was August 2009 and I was doing Ironman #16 in Canada. The weather was hot, I was dehydrated and the smoke from nearby bushfires wasn't making breathing any easier as I was attempting to complete yet another ironman marathon.

I thought to myself.... this sucks! The run is my favourite leg, and I am not enjoying this one at all. Hell I wasn't even running. It was a walk / shuffle at best... although I was getting some high quality tan lines....

And then it struck me.... Why am I doing ironman's? I love the achievement of the event, mostly because of the run and the finish, the rest of the day is getting yourself to the run. Maybe I should JUST RUN.

I mean I can still combine my love of travel and sport... maybe just travel and marathons. There are marathons in some amazing places.... and then there are ULTRA marathons.... this is exciting!

The second half of the Ironman Canada marathon went a little faster as I was excited about the future.

After 16 ironman's in 6 years, the goal posts have shifted. Now its all about RUNNING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment