Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Portsea to Frankston 55km

The Frankston to Portsea 55km ultra marathon is a time honoured event that has been run annually since 1973, making it the oldest ultra marathon in Australia. It would have been terrific to do this event in the lead up to Comrades, however I was double booked on the day in question (11 April), being in Canberra for a 50km event.

However I decided that I wanted to squeeze in a 55km run in the lead up to Comrades... and since Comrades is an event dedicated to the honour of World War 1 veterans, there seem something very appropriate about doing my longest run for Comrades, on ANZAC Day.

So on 24 April, I stayed the night in tropical Rye and drove the short distance to the start line in Portsea on 25 April.

The weather conditions for the official Frankston to Portsea run on 11 April were apparently horrendous, strong cold head wind, horizontal rain... just appalling. As we drove to Portsea for the start of this run, the weather gods were not smiling either, and it poured with rain again. However it had passed by the time we arrive, so I started the event in good spirits... and doing unusual stretching routines....



The day was very much "four seasons in one day" and quickly I was way too hot with the arm warmers on. It was 12 degrees when I started but when the sun came out, it warmed out quickly.

I bought a new 2XU light weight run jacket and run belt, which were fantastic for the event. It was nice not to have to carry a drink bottle like I have been doing in previous long runs.



But the good weather was soon to end... as them thar clouds were turning nasty looking!!



And then of course, the inevitable happened, and the clouds opened ....







Running in the rain was actually very enjoyable. It wasn't particularly cold and the new run jacket was keeping me nice and warm.

In fact, when the sun came out, I was actually getting a bit warm. But the run was very enjoyable, scenic and because I was sticking to my Comrades target pacing, not particularly difficult running. Think a 55km cool down....



The course itself isn't particularly hilly. There are some rolling hills as you depart Portsea, but then its pretty flat for the next 30km and the hills pick up at the 35km mark. But it is a far cry from what will be faced in Comrades...

This photo does make it look a bit like I have just run over the edge of the world...



Approaching about 47km it was getting kind of warm... so it was time for a disrobe, and then I was on my way again, for the final hills and then big descent down Hopes Rise into Frankston and the finish line.





I deliberately chose to run down Hopes Rise (and not the coastal footpath coming down Olivers Hill) as it is steeper, and a bit more of a challenge after 53km. And it was slightly painful on the legs, but managed to trot down ok.



Even from a distance, you can see that the calves are under a bit of strain.



Not sure if this one shows both feet off the ground... or.... the perfect stride for a race-walker with both feet touching the ground!! Either way I am down the hill and homeward bound!!



And with that, it was down to the finish line at "Kittens" at 55km down in 5.58.17. Max HR of 143 and an ave HR of 136... a nice easy training run.



Overall - was a terrific hit out for Comrades. Once again the pacing and nutrition strategy worked well. While I was a bit sorer than I had expected, this was probably due to the 60km bike ride I did the day before... as I have an ironman triathlon in July as well.

I felt good enough at the end to trot off another 6km to have a late lunch at Mum's.. for a nice round 61km day.!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment