Sunday, March 27, 2011

Entry to 2011 Marathon des Sables

The MDS is such an iconic event, you normally have to enter over 12 months in advance, and there is a long waiting list for those who missed out on the first cut.

Yep, for an event that is held in the middle of a desert, and you carry all your own gear... there is much more demand that available spots. Ultra running and events that provide an experience you will remember for a life time - is very much a growing market.

My trip to the 2011 MDS commenced a little differently. I had looked hard at doing the event in 2010, the 25th anniversary, but entries had closed and while spots sometimes open up late due to cost (and people not paying) and injury, they didnt and I couldnt really get time off work.

Having had 6 months off work in 2010 and travelling to Europe, I came back from a wonderful holiday with a happy mind, and a slightly less fit body! However hard work and in December I finished Ironman Western Australia in a tick over 13 hours, so the fitness was back.

I have a few friends doing the MDS in 2011 so on 21st December I sent an email to Jay Batchen at Dreamchasers (the agent for the event for Australia - a US based company) asking about the availability of spots.

The reply....
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your note. In fact, we received an cancellation for the 2011 just last week and do have a spot open for the upcoming race. However, the deadline for submitting our final race roster is this Wednesday, December 22. While your documents wouldn’t need to be in our office, we would need a deposit of US$1,500 in order to add your name to the list. (The balance of US$2,225 is due in mid January.) I could send an invoice through PayPal for the first payment, but a processing fee would be included to cover the service fees for PayPal.

For the documents, you would need to complete the following documents and send them to our office along with: 3 passport sized photos and a clear copy of your passport…


HOLY CRAP. So I had 24 hours to make a decision whether I wanted to do the event or not....

I spoke to my gorgeous partner Jill... and we talked about it. Being entirely wonderful she would support me in whatever I wanted to do, as I would with her.

So... take the spot, or pass?

I had a great time at Ironman Western Australia, felt really pleased with my result, but I have now done that event 7 times, and the sheer thrill and excitement of doing it has waned. However the thrill of the challenge of Comrades, or Hawaii Ironman was something that was memorable, scary, and something that I didnt experience in a normal ironman anymore.

So, to really test myself, to chase that feeling of the unknown, the "could I do it" sensation... I entered, and paid $US 1500 less than 24 hours after that initial email.

In late January I paid the balance and I was in...

What on earth have I got myself into!!!!

The challenge now... was to get fit enough to cover 250km in a week, and get the logistic right...

No comments:

Post a Comment