Sunday, March 27, 2011

Marathon des Sables - logistics

Coming from an ironman and marathon background, the most obvious difference about those events to the Marathon des Sables is that its a multi day self-sufficiency event.

Thus, the logitics of working out what to take and what back pack to take it in, are of critical importance.

With requirements to take certain compulsory gear (eg compass, knife, survival blanket, anti venom kit etc) and a certain amount of food (at least 2000 calories a day) working out the most weight-efficient way of doing that is really important.

I have probably spent more time searching the internet and shops for back packs, freeze dried food, gaiters, trail runners etc than actually training itself.

I thought I had the back pack completely sorted out, and then I put together the list of gels, electrolyte powders to add to the water to provide energy on the run (eg Gatorade or Endura) and protein powder and I was (unhappily) surprised at how much space it took in the back pack. To the extent now that the back pack is over full.

That will cause problems (a) to take the back pack on the plane and (b) ensuring I can take everything I need on the event!!

The plane is an important logistical issue - I will take the race back pack as my hand luggage, and a small suitcase to go under the plane. The stuff that goes on the plane with me, is the stuff I cant afford to do without in the unfortunate event that my luggage is lost. Which is kind of everything, except for the moment everything doesnt actually fit into my pack.... so some stuff will have to be risked. But not the freeze dried food, sleeping bag, race clothes, shoes and gaiters. But all liquids will be in the suit case due to airline restrictions, so all the hygiene things are under the plane.

I will have time to pack and repack the back pack many times pre event in Morocco, I actually think that is almost an essential part of the event experience... working out the best way to get all your gear into the pack!

And I know I struggle if it gets close to 10kg, so less is definitely more... but "too much less" is not enough!!

So if you are ever going to do this event, the logistics are something that is absolutely essential to think long and hard about!!

No comments:

Post a Comment