Sunday, March 27, 2011

Maroondah Dam Trail Run 30km

In 2010 the conditions for the Maroondah Dam trail run were oppressive, it was 35 degrees plus, there was limited water, a group of us got lost and there were hills and more hills.

Perfect training for the Marathon des Sables!! So I entered again for 2011!

The only trouble being, Melbourne had its wettest summer in living memory! Course conditions on race day were cool, wet underfoot in parts, and the risk of rain. The hills however, were still as big as last year!

Most of the run is on trails and its a lovely run. My goal was to treat it like it was the MDS, let the pack go, and stick to my heart rate. Also I was wearing about a 4km pack...





And probably the best picture of them all I took for this event



Some of the hills are really brutal



So I was happy to rest on the hills and take some photos!!





A happy team at the first checkpoint and aid station



Another of the long uphills





And they the mist came in, and it was delightfully spooky :)





And then it was up to the highest part of the course, up the steepest terrain. Unfortunately just after this photo was taken, the misty light rain turned to heavy rain and the descent down from this point - which is normally treacherous on dry ground - was almost impossible on wet ground. I slipped probably 20 times but somehow never fell, and my quads copped an absolute pounding from trying to brake on every step.



Finally the rain cleared and you see the water channel, so you know you are getting close to the Dam, and the end!! Dry clothes were looking good right about now!



And then the welcome sight of the Dam comes into view





And finally, the finish!




Its a great event, really well run, and its tough on the legs with the hills. There is over 1100m of vertical ascent on the course! Not bad for 30km!

My quads were so sore afterwards, it took me 5 days before I went ok to run again!

No comments:

Post a Comment